“Helping to make a great town even better” is the the byline of the Skerries Community Association, but you can help make your own street, club, or community group even better by organising or taking part in a Street Feast on Sunday, 10th June 2018.
Street Feast is a neighbourhood street party that will be hosted by neighbours all over Ireland at the same time, and it’s taking place across the country on Sunday 10th June 2018. Over 1,300 Street Feast events were held nationwide in 2017, with over 120,000 people taking part. (See here to sample the flavour of the day.)
This 10th of June at around 12 noon, communities across Ireland will sit down for a feast to celebrate community. They can be anywhere really – out on the street, in a local park or in your front garden.
You don’t need to be a Street Feast event to have a street party – and many streets in Skerries already organise their own street parties at other times of the year – but if you register your feast on the Street Feast website, they’ll post out a free DIY Street Feast Pack to you. The pack contains a handy guide to help make your feast a success, as well as posters, invitations, and decorations to get the party started! To get your pack you need to register your feast on their website and make sure to select the free DIY Street Feast Pack option.
Six good reasons to host a Street Feast:
- To celebrate our streets, cul-de-sacs, neighbourhoods & local communities.
- To support and shine a light on the communities, networks and organisations that are holding everything together.
- To have fun. To laugh. To stop for a moment. To open up and give-up our shyness for a day. It’s so much better with others…
- To encourage more life on the streets, feel safer and reduce loneliness and isolation.
- To share great local food, home-grown produce, cracking stories, bad jokes, practical skills, useful tools, different customs, common ground…
- To show what can be achieved when a small group of neighbours come together and try something special