Are you a member of a neighbourhood network? A WhatsApp group just for your road? A Facebook group for your estate? A residents’ association even?
Yes? Great! Please have a look if it’s in our list here, and if not, please go to our online form and add your group!
No? Well, then check whether the area where you are living is covered by any of the groups below.
If your street is covered, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and address and contact details, and we’ll pass them on to the group in question.
If it’s not listed, ask around first. And if there is no group yet in your area, just start one! Have a look at our Tips & Tricks for Starting a Neighbourhood Group below. And thank you to all the groups who already responded and shared their experiences! Their information is what our tips and tricks are based on.
Our list is by no means complete yet!
Are you in a neighbourhood whats-app / Facebook / email group? Then please help the progress by registering your group with the SCA!
The current Skerries Neighbourhoods Network
|Name of the Group||Area||Type of Group|
|Kelly’s Bay Rocks WhatsApp Group||Kelly’s Bay Rocks||WhatsApp Group|
|Selskar Court group||Selskar Court||WhatsApp Group|
|The Haven||The Haven||WhatsApp Group|
|Barnageeragh Cove and Hamilton Hill Residents Association||Barnageeragh Cove and Hamilton Hill||Facebook Group, Emails, WhatsApp Group, Monthly meetings|
|Churchfield Residents Association||The Churchfield estate||Facebook Group, WhatsApp Group|
|Kelly’s Bay Tower||Kelly’s Bay Tower||Emails, WhatsApp Group|
What is this Skerries Neighbourhoods Network?
The Skerries Community Association (SCA) is facilitating this network of neighbourhood groups in order to bring together all the neighbourhood groups in Skerries. This will help exchange of information and more.
The idea is that the SCA and its committees (e.g. Tidy Towns, Town Twinning, Age Friendly, Sustainable Skerries, Skerries Cycling Initiative) will be able to contact all or some of the neighbourhood groups to pass on information or to get in touch with them about various initiatives.
What about other groups?
At the moment, we only have capacity to facilitate a network of neighbourhood groups. The SCA may in future decide to widen this to other groups, such as writers’ groups, bridge clubs, or book clubs – if you are in such a group, or a similar one, please go to the online form and add your group so that when we do, we can contact you easily!
Tips and Tricks for Setting Up a Neighbourhood Group
These are – in no particular order – some of the experiences existing groups shared with us.
- Just start and keep it simple!
- A WhatsApp group can be the easiest to start with.
- Google Groups are a bit more accessible for those who do have email but not a smartphone (needed for WhatsApp).
- Facebook Groups work for some as well (then again, not everyone is or wants to be on Facebook).
- Approaching a few neighbours you know personally first, and then asking those to spread the word among those they know in your street, works.
Street or streets or housing development?
Maybe both. Perhaps a neighbourhood group for your street and a residents’ association for the development / area is best!
For some things, like a neighbourhood barbecue or sharing seeds, a smaller area made up of one or a couple of streets is best. For others, like raising issues with a developer (for new estates) or with Fingal County Council, a residents’ association works!
What Neighbourhood Groups do
Again, just a taste of what the existing groups are doing. Some are doing a number of these things, others just one or two.
- asking questions / sharing information re water outages, lost cats, or missing parcels (WhatsApp is particularly useful here)
- representing the residents in discussions with builders (for newer estates) / the County Council
- neighbourhood street parties / picnics
- table quizzes and Bingo for the neighbourhood (online during Covid-19)
- sharing / borrowing tools and machinery
- sharing seeds and plants locally
- estate clean ups
- summer BBQs