Skerries Community Association is currently drafting a submission for the Fingal County Council Development Plan for 2017-2023.
2023! The kids who are starting school this September will be in 6th Class then, and those who are preparing for Junior Cert right now will be in their early twenties, and even the Leaving Cert will just be a fading memory….
So this is long-term, big-scale thinking which requires reflecting where we want Skerries to be in 2023. The Board of Directors of the Skerries Community Association is basing its work on a submission on the following:
Vision for Skerries – What do we think is “great” about our town / could be done to make it even better?
- sustainable development, in keeping with the current character of the town
- When it comes to economic development, a technology park may be a good fit; industrial areas would not be
- the needs of commuters need to be borne in mind
- being able to move around town without having to use the car
- age friendly – for all ages
- more energy-efficiency, use of renewable energies (wind, water, willows)
- vibrant community
- cultural, sporting amenities
- amenities for visitors (hotel / hotels e.g.)
- Sustainable development, good-quality housing with amenities nearby.
- Options for all – including apartments / smaller units close to shops and other infrastructure for those with impaired mobility.
As Skerries grows we need to think how that will look. Do we want higher density (three or four stories) housing or alternatively see the “footprint” of the town spread out much further than currently?
Areas for possible future housing development should be identified on the development plan.
All residential areas of Skerries should be accessible in a safe, sustainable way to the town centre and the public transport network: Foot paths, cycle paths, safe roads.
This should apply to both existing and new areas.
Cycle paths and foot paths – there are many instances where paths stop all of a sudden. These need to be connected / finished.
Over to you!
We (the SCA) are encouraging all Skerries residents to have a look at the development plan consultation process. Fingal County Council have put all relevant information here. The public consultation drop-in sessions are over, but all documents are available online, and we are including a few here as well.
If you have any comments that you think we should include in our submission, please mail them to email@example.com as soon as possible.