….the proposed development of the Skerries town park as described in the plan is very welcome and will go a long way to making this park an amenity that the entire community can enjoy and be proud of.
This is the central message of our submission to Fingal County Council regarding the proposed redevelopment of the green heart of Skerries, the Town park.
In it, we are supporting the separate submissions made by our committees, Skerries Cycling Initiative, Skerries Tidy Towns, Sustainable Skerries and Skatepark Committee, and making some points of our own.
Here is a quick summary of our suggestions:
- the provision of improved lighting around the Mill car park and the road leading to it.
- an illuminated loop path for wintertime running
- an increased provision of safe routes of travel for persons walking and cycling, using wheelchairs and other mobility vehicles including cycles adapted for persons with disabilities
- the possible provision of a skatepark in the town park should be explored as part of this development
- an area could be allocated for the provision of a community food garden, possibly by the bowling green for ease of access
- inclusion of a fully equipped theatre and performance space within any extension of the Community Centre, or to explore possible provision for a free standing theatre and performance space, subject to planning permission, within the confines of the park
If you would like to read the full, much more detailed submission, sent to Fingal County Council by our Vice Chair, Geoff McEvoy, on 27 January 2015, just click on the link to it below.